Surface watering VS watering tubes

zaftmanAugust 11, 2013

Hi there,
I was wondering if watering with tubes to get the water to the roots will push the salt up as the water rises to the surface, or am I better just surface watering to push the salt down ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

We used home-made pvc tubes with lots of holes drilled around them when we planted the mesquite tree to get the roots to seek water at a deeper level. I use a filter on the hose bib that controls the salt. Look for the filter in the misting section of HD or at any good sprinkler supplier, like Ewing or Sprinkler World. HTH.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 6:39PM
aztreelvr

No matter which type of watering system you use salts (calcium, sodium, magnesium, etc.,) will be carried with the water and deposited where the water stops. In our clay soils water easily moves horizontally in the soil as well as vertically. Salts could accumulate below the root zone or beside the root zone. In addition, as moisture evaporates from the soil it can draw salts along with it leaving them at the surface of the soil.

This is why using long irrigation cycles are better for plants than short frequent ones.

To manage salts, water for an extra long time to 'push' the salts away from the root zone (leaching) once or twice a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Watering by the Numbers

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 12:40PM
GeeS 9b

@aztreelvr: Good one. I'm going to start doing that.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 1:10PM
richsd

I agree w/ treelvr,

A common water filter won't remove salts. You'd need to use a reverse osmosis machine for that.... That wouldn't make sense...

Periodic, deep drenching watering is the best strategy (just don't look at your water bill...)

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 1:19PM
holly45

The A2wh "grow dryland" product can supply water to start mesquite trees. It extracts the water from air so no salt is added to the soil. The full plan also includes micro capture which harvests rain fall and can help flush salt out of the root zone.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™