Growing Indoors?- Water falling from Leaves

jeffmont(Z6)October 9, 2005

Is there any way to stop or at least minimize the moisture and drops of water falling from the leaves of my banana plants when I bring them indoors? My wife would kill me if I ruined my hardwood floors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

I have forgotten the technical term for it, but as I recall it is a way to eliminate excess moisture, and might be reduced by less watering. You could put a plastic drop cloth under it or get a new wife as alternative solutions,

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 7:28PM
unautre(8B San Antonio TX)

darn wives, always concerned about how things look!! :)

This probably won't pass wife inspection, but what about one of those transparent, rigid vinyl rug protectors placed under desk chairs? Try to find one for non-carpet floors, without the anti-skid cleats.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 12:23AM
dirt_dew(z9 az)

Or a very thin clear plastic drop cloth used for painting and available at your local 99¢ store. You can cut it with scissors just past the drip line.
If you ask your wife to pick one up for you, then she is part of the solution AND gets to go shopping! She might even do the cutting IF you ask her real nice to help you. You should do the "heavy" lifting though.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 2:56AM
WannaBGardener(8b & 4a)

I take it by the replies that there is no way to stop the plant from crying? If it dripped all over my floor the plant wouldn't be the only thing "crying" :-) Just sign me---A Wife

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 9:48AM
Fori is not pleased

OK...so it's not just me having a sloppy plant. Good to know! (And glad I put waterproof flooring in! I like it better everytime I spill.)

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 8:59AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

How about a nice rug, in a color to match your decor...with a plastic drop cloth underneath? Everyone's happy.
P.s. give your wife the dimensions of the rug you need and the $, and maybe ask her real nicely to pick up that drop cloth too. Do this while eating dinner at Outback, and I know it'd work with me....

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 10:13AM
sfhellwig(6a SE Kansas)

To ultimately answer your questions, no, it does not appear that you can just make it stop. Less watering could slow it but it would probably hurt the plant more than help the situation. I have an anthurium that also does this, it is a natural part of certain plants. Water goes in, water comes out. I understand about the floors but its one or the other. I personally would choose to keep the bananas and wipe the floor 2-3 times a day. If you've got enough water that its really dripping to the point of concern I would expect it to lay off for the winter, especially since you will be watering it less for the slow growing period.

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 10:50AM
meanhorse(mo)

Hi,
Last winter my banana dripped water but not all that much. I think you could put a rug around it and be ok.
Jim

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 11:26AM
laterita(7b Holland (dr))

The technical term: guttation.
Is happens with high environment humidity or low transpiration. So decrease the humidity (or increase an air flow) and it will stop, or heat up your house. Its a methode for the plant to keep the liquid flow into its veins. The exess of water will be exuded at the leaftip or edge. Its nothing to worry about. (My wife doesn't like it either)
Simon

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?
Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit...
elbeardo
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™