What Pest Is Causing These Holes?

sqftdesertAugust 6, 2014

Any ideas of what is creating the holes in these leaves? The leaves in the picture are Amaranth, Basil & Callaloo. However, the holes are also in my sweet potato, gynura, malabar, pepper & kale leaves.

I cannot find any insects on the leaves. Because of the rate of holes appearing, I am suspecting maybe beetles of some type or perhaps a leaf miner, even though I can't find either.

I've sprayed Neem Oil / Sal Suds / Garlic Oil BT / Spinosad but the holes continue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mswillis5

My leaf damage is from catepillars. I look at about dawn 5:30 am and find the culprits.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:39PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

Really, I would have guessed small beetles as well. Either way, I expect the advice given of checking at dawn will ID the culprit(s). Let us know what you find. Picture(s) would be nice.

As for solution, is the damage so bad as to warrant doing anything?

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 11:10AM
sqftdesert

I've been looking at 5am & evening. Either its happening in the middle of the night or during the day when I'm not home.

The damage is extensive but random as to plant type and location in the garden (it's 100ft long) and since the pests aren't present on the leaves, that's why I considered beetles as my primary suspect. They can come & go irregardless of time of day.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™