Guatemala Bee Swarm

jgollerMay 15, 2005

Hello bee experts.

4 days ago we noticed a bee swarm about the size and shape of an upside down pineapple, hanging from the ceiling of our outdoor entryway to our office. Not knowing what to do, I went online to find the answer. I've since learned the following:

1) Swarms are supposedly normally docile - so long as you don't mess with them.

2) They are supposedly just hanging around waiting until the scouts find a new colony, and should go away in a few days or so.

3) That the only way to get rid of them seems to be to call in the experts.

Herein lies my problem. I am an expat living in Guatemala and there are no beekeepers to call. I am sure there is the¨"Guatemalan way" to get rid of them, but I don't want to see them killed. However, I do know that there is a possibility that this swarm may be of the "Africanized" variety - due to my geographic location in the world.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should do? I don't want to kill the bees, but I don't want to jeopardize our entire office if there is a possibility that they might get pissed off and attack someone as they are coming into work.

Shouldn't they have gone away by now (4 days)? Is it possible that they're planning to stay forever?

Thanks so much for time and advice!

Best regards,

James Goller

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Merops_apiaster(Cadiz (Spain))

Hi! You can find beekeepers to call in Guatemala (Where have you been looking for?). And there is a good "servicio de agricultura" and "cooperativas agrícolas" that can help you.
The Guatemalteco way can be so good as the Canadian (for example) one.
P.D.: Don´t touch a four days old swarm, because it is angriest every day. (que no toques el enjambre pasados unos días porque se va poniendo agresivo al ir consumiendo la miel de reserva). Suerte.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 2:21AM
pennsylvania_pete(1)

African bees are noted for their ability to have long lived swarms and open combs. Not too much messes with them.
Excellent advice form Merops.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 1:20AM
jgoller

Thanks guys.

The swarm is still there, after 6 or 7 days. I guess it's not going away... I'll try to find a local beekeeper, but it's not that easy to do.

But are these bees really potentially dangerous? I mean, as long as we don't touch them, they probably won't do anything.??

P.Pete: What's an open comb? Is that a swarm that never goes away, e.g., makes a permanent home hanging from the ceiling in my office?

Cheers
James

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 1:11AM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

Africanized bees can just hang comb from the branch that the swarm is hanging in. Then it becomes a colony and no longer a swarm... and defensive.

Bookmark   May 20, 2005 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™