I'm new to this

goldenoldie99June 5, 2009

My French neighbours (I live in France) are keen for me to re-activate an unoccupied, but previously used hive.

OK, so I know how to clean it; they've told me how to "bait" the hive, so bees will get in and stay there.

But what else do I need to do? How do i get to the honey? When can I expect some?

Any advice (even, don't do it!) would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnyoga2

WOW! Where to begin? Are your French neighbors Beekeepers themselves who could possibly mentor you? Is there a local beekeeping club or group nearby?
If not, you should probably go to www.beesource.com a very large bee keeping forum that has a lot of answers, or a large library which may have some beginning beekeeping books on the shelves.
If you decide to do it, you'll love it!

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 12:44PM
regattagirl(4a Minneapolis)

This blog is tremendous:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/

When I got interested, I started reading from her first post forward and learned along with her successes and failures.

It reads like a story so you learn in a much less linear way. And then you will know WHAT to ask on the other boards and forums.

Please email me for a few other intersting sources but I HIGHLY recommend starting with Linda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda's Bees

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 1:22PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

If you have no experience, you most likely don't succeed.
Take classes and join a group.

Here at Beesource you get quick help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here at Beesource you get quick help!

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 1:12AM
goldenoldie99

Thanks for your help.

No clubs nearby, no local help, as we live in the middle of nowhere. So, will do it all online. Neighbours are not professional beekeepers, they are peasant farmers (in the nicest sense possible).

So here goes...

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 12:07PM
beegeek

Don't worry, you can do this. What you need to start with, regardless of whether or not you have a mentor or a club available, are books! Pickup some beekeeping books and fill your head with as much information as possible. Start with starter books like "Beekeeping for Dummies" and then read "The Backyard Beekeeper." These two will start you off with what you need to know. There will be a few variations since you are in France. Each country has the tendency to have different equipment. France uses equipment very similar to the UK, which isn't that far off from what we use here in the U.S. All of these have removable frames within a wooden hive body. Don't stress about the differences so much as gaining an initial sense of confidence that this is possible to do and you know the answers to some of your most basic questions. How the honey is stored and how to go about removing the excess honey is all explained within beekeeping texts. Clubs will further your information by telling you the tricks of the trade and which tools seem to work better than others. Mentors are great, but only if they hold the better knowledge. It sounds like you already sense that you need a better source for your beekeeping information than your neighbors can give you. Books and practice can work for you when clubs and other beekeepers are not available. Good luck, I think you'll do well.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 6:39AM
More Discussions
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
Bugs, Birds and Beyond
FREE Festival for Children, Sat, 8/23 12 �...
blrhudugi
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™