Small Hive Beetle in Seattle

ballardbeebopperJune 2, 2010

I started two hives this spring with packages from the Puget Sound Beekeepers Association. One of the hives became infested with small beetles that look exactly like photos of small hive beetles within the first two weeks of hiving. I've called everyone from the Dept. of Agriculture to the Beekeepers Association and nobody seems to know anything about them or care that they are here. Any advice? Surely somebody in Wa State is concerned or working on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beekeeper961(8)

I would not worry about because in South Carolina they are everywhere unless there are tons of them one way to stop them is to put the hives in direct sun or keep the area around it raked and dry. Also chickens keep bugs away from the hive. Happy Beekeeping! -Alex

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ebbyark

I have a hive infected with SHB also. I built a beetle trap for mine and so far I have trapped about 275 beetles in about 3 weeks time. I know beekeeper 961 said don't worry about it but they can destroy your hive if you don't control them. You can get the plans to build your own or buy it already made at www.greenbeehives.com. Click on DIY Small Hive Beetle Trap.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
Bee Hive for Black Bees
We have a large bee hive that was created this summer...
MotherNauresDaughter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™