Basjoo in zone 7 for winter

uniquetanner(7)October 10, 2013

I have 5 Basjoo Banana trees, planted in a row, with elephant ears in between each one.
Wondering about winter, and if I can leave them where they are, or do I have to cut them down and much over them, or chop them down and dig up roots and store in my storage building?
What are my options? I don't have any room inside my house to keep them, and I would love to leave them in the ground, if it wouldn't kill them. Of course, I don't want that.
I also have 3 other banana trees, in a clump. Have a Dwarf, a Super dwarf and a California Gold, and need to know what are my options for them as well.
This is my first year of having banana trees, and I absolutely LOVE them all!
Thanks for any advice !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arctictropical(Z4)

You might try putting them into dormancy in your basement if you have one. (See my post about putting ensete to sleep for Winter.)

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 11:15PM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

Can't comment on the other bananas but Musa basjoo should be perfectly hardy in zone 7. It's basically a giant perennial, will freeze to the ground and spring back next year. Cut off the leaves after they freeze and use them as mulch, but leave the stems standing until spring; when the weather warms up again cut them down to the point where you see living tissue. Some people wrap the stems to keep them from freezing and get a head start the following year, but I don't even do that--they grow so fast it's not really necessary.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 4:41PM
stevelau1911

It's pretty easy to overwinter basjoos and keep a lot of the stem alive. All you have to do is get something like a fence/55 gallon cut open barrels, or anything that can hold together a bunch of dry tree leaves or straw for insulation over the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: musa basjoo overwintering

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 12:10AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

mine die back and get to about 12' in one summer. I usually try and dig up one or two pups to keep in the house as back ups in case we have a really bad winter. I have had EE's survive in the ground but usually also try and dig them up.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 11:58AM
uniquetanner(7)

thank you for the info. so mksmth do you cut them back at all, or just leave them as they are to die back?

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Banana Palm uprooted in winds!
How can I save it???
Green4les
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™