oldhamii in palm springs

palmspringsOctober 24, 2006

I'm so pleased to find this site. I hope someone can help.

I live in Palm Springs, CA.

In February I planted 12 24" boxes of oldhamii. They are grown in costal San Diego so needless to say it's been a shock for them.

I got a mite infestation early on. Thank god for the internet...the landscapers and gardeners havenÂt a clue. I have that under control but have a new problem.

The leaves go from looking deep lush green to this: parts of the leaves turn brown as though being cooked....then perfectly happy green leaves start turning an orangish red color then start defoliating at an alarming pace.

When leaves start turning brown I assume this means not enough water, keep in mind it's still over 90% here.

Is it possible this whole problem is really over watering?

I just found this site. I'll see if picture posting is available and post a few as this problem is in full swing as I type.

I so appreciate any help.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
unautre(8B San Antonio TX)

"When leaves start turning brown I assume this means not enough water"

No, the dessicated leaves will first curl up tight axially to reduce surface exposure to wind and sun. Watering the roots will cause the leaves to uncurl within minutes.

Then you could wait until they leaves curl up again. This will give you baseline of the water requiremnts. It's not enough water to allow it to thrive, but it's enough to keep it comfortablly alive.

Adding a little more water than above will probably remove water questin from the bamboo's growing restiction.

I badly overwatered a new Bambusa tuldoides, had the same symptons as you did, many leaves turning yellow and dropping. The seller told me to stop watering. I removed all the yellow leaves to have completely green baseline. With no more water, the green leaves stayed green until they curled from dryness. Then I started watering again with a much lower volume and frequency. The plant has thrived since then.

Overwatering bamboo in well draining soil I think is pretty hard to do, so I find it hard to believe that your problem is over-watering EXCEPT if your bamboo's soil drains very poorly, remains waterlogged.

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™