Swarm question

OHbluebird(z5)June 9, 2005

I know this has probably been discussed on here before, but I looked quickly back through the first couple of pages and didn't find the answers to my question. A swarm of bees showed up today (they were not in that spot this morning when I watered the flowers), they are quite low to the ground on an upturned wheelbarrow. My husband saw them as he was mowing the lawn in that area :0) We have a local beekeeper, but I can't seem to reach him. Answering machine isn't working. What I am wondering is if beekeepers come and get swarms like this to use in their colonies (I imagine they do). But do you charge to do that? The swarm really is in an out of the way spot and isn't a threat. Will they move on when they are ready? I can't see paying someone to remove them if the problem will take care of itself, but I am more than willing for the beekeeper to come and get them if he wants them. Jamie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirty_knees_il(ZONE 5)

SMALL BEEKEEPERS DO COME TO GET SWARMS AT NO COST. SPRING IS THE BEST TIME TO GET A SWARM AS THE HAVE ALL SUMMER TO GET ESTABLISHED. THE COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE USUALLY HAS A SWARM LIST- BEEKEEPERS WHO ARE WILLING TO COME TO GET THEM. THEY ARE WORTH ABOUT $50.00 SO IT'S WORTH THEIR WHILE. BIGGER COMERCIAL KEEPERS PROBABLY WON'T, HOWEVER. THE BEES YOU SAW WERE LOOKING FOR A SPOT FOR A HIVE. IT IS UNPREDICTABLE AS TO HOW LONG THEY WILL STAY IN ONE SPOT.IT'S AN AWSOME SIGHT TO SEE THEM ON THE MOVE.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
First year raising Mason Bees...some advice if you please
So A buddy and I split an order of Mason Bees from...
dbobul
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia Bachelor's Chest - 72042-55
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Bella Cera 11 Piece Rectangular Dining Table Set...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia Curio - 72505-55
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Dresser - 57050-51
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Villagio Entertainment Center in Hazelnut - 58091-44
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Discoveries Round Entry Table - ACF-ENT-FBRK-348
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™