Helping local wild bees

lannegreenelagJune 17, 2008

Hello, I'm an avid gardener that has enjoyed seeing many bees around my flowering plants. I assume these are wild bees. I've noticed they seem to like small flowers like those of the mint family. Is this generally true? What can I plant to help feed the local bees?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tonybeeguy

you can probably do an online search. A few are the mints,thyme,spiderwort,dandelions,buckwheat,coneflowers,
collards,sunflowers,most berries,white clover,goldenrod,

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 10:38PM
steveintn(Z6-1/2)

Honeybees love Oak Leaf Hydrangea, by the way. And holly trees. They can't get anything out of daylilies though.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 10:50PM
slinky

the bees in my yard really enjoy cone flowers and lavender right now!

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 2:59PM
tonybeeguy

bees here are in the milkweed for one, right now

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 12:14AM
ctufts(z4 Maine)

I wish I had wild bees to feed. I live in Maine, and we have 10 acres of land. We have alot of flowering trees down by our stream that use to be so loaded with wild honey bees that the sound was almost deafening. It is depressing now to see NO BEES at all !!. I went out today to see if there were any on my climbing rose bush which is very large and about 15 feet tall, loaded with blooms,,and not one honey bee. Just one lonely bumble bee. I hope I start seeing them soon. I really miss them.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 8:32PM
buzzbee(6)

If the bees found a source with greater nectar flow,they will move to there to gather for efficiency reasons.If you have a nectar source at the right time,they will return.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 6:51AM
lannegreenelag

Thank you for the replys, the bees are all over the clover right now. The bee balm is opening too, they really get into them.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 5:01PM
flowersnhens(Maine 4)

Still no bees here...just big black bees that resemble bumble bees that are trying to make a nest under the front porch roof. Also seeing wasps of course...but no honey bees. I have coneflowers, bee balm, roses, butterfly daisies (argyranthumum), tomato and potatos blossoming and no honey bees. I am not even seeing butterflies, but maybe one or two in the past few weeks.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™