new to beekeeping/local beekeeping club

jdh101June 21, 2007

My name is Janet and I'm a new beekeeper. Actually, bees chose me. I moved a swarm of honey bees from my back patio to a bee hive and out into my garden. I live on 10 acres in a prairie-like area around Benbrook lake in south Ft. Worth and we've had LOTS of wildflowers this year.

I have a few questions regarding beekeeping.

I got a starter brood box w/frames from a local beekeeper about 6 wks ago when a swarm of honey took up residence on my back patio. I got the bees to go into the box and moved the box out to my garden. Three days ago I noticed bees "bearding" on the outside of the brood box and when I removed the top, it was full of bees. I bought a "super" and added it last night on top of the brood box, but I noticed that my bees were not bearding outside the box anymore and when I took the top off this time, I didn't see as many bees as I did 3 days ago.

Do you think my bees are moving out? Should I add another brood box or is it too late in the season? Will my bees leave in the winter? Is there a local beekeeping club in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

I'd really like to get an experienced beekeeper to come out and show me how to work w/bees and give me pointers. I enjoy having the bees for my garden and would like to take some honey for myself and friends.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlescharlotte

I dont think your bees are leaving just working more in the super.You can locate a local beekeeper through your Farmers association or County Extension office.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 11:13PM
    Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 6:26AM
bandit_tx(z7-8 TX)

Collin County has an active beekeepers club. They meet in Mckinney at the Heard Museum.

You may have had a swarm, but it seems unlikely. It's not unusual for a new swarm to abandon a hive after a few days. If you chase swarms long enough you'll see it a lot.

You need to look at the comb for open brood and/or eggs. If you see that, you still have a laying queen. You should probably be feeding. Even though we have had a good bloom this year, it's about over. The exception would be if you are in a good mesquite area and the mesquites have started blooming. They are late here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beesource

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 9:21AM
tonybeeguy

Janet, Welcome to the forum. Get your hands on a good bee book or two. A couple I'd recommend are by Richard Bonney Beekeeping A Beginner's Guide, and Hive Management, Others are Backyard Beekeeping (Kim Flottum) First Lessons in Beekeeping and the list goes on Check your local Library and used book sources. As bandit said, Join a local club. There will be members happy to let you tag along and learn the ropes. good luck and keep us posted

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 2:05AM
More Discussions
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Has anyone raised honey bees in the Kenya Bee Hive?
I have a wild honey bees (Italian) in the floor of...
deepsouthgardener
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
efeuer
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Sponsored Products
Regal 412W Chair in Natural Frame Finish
Beyond Stores
Homelegance Lyric 6 Drawer Dresser w/ Mirror in Dark Espresso
Beyond Stores
Fine Art Lamps Stile Bellagio 837140ST Six-Light 34'' Wide Grand Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Turquoise Metallic Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Black With Gallery Trim Drum Lamp Shade 12x14x11 (Spider)
$34.99 | Lamps Plus
Sunshine Metallic Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Global Inspirations Wasabi GLB02 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$339.15 | Bellacor
Adesso Mimosa Satin Steel Table Lantern
$136.00 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™