Ok, this is too wierd

onafixedincome(z8-9 CA)June 13, 2006

I just had the ODDEST experience, and would like to send you some pictures of the bee involved....

Found what appeared to be a wingless, light-colored bee crawling over my rabbit manure (I recently treated with carbamol-Sevin-and hope she didn't get into it). Picked her up and no wings, very light, not interested in drops of sweet tea.

Brought it in to take pictures, and it started to...change. Went from wingless to fully winged, light to dark-colored. Quite dark abdomen, with small kidney-shaped burnt orange spots just under the base of the wings. Flies.

Could this be a young bee, perhaps even a queen, that was for whatever reason booted from the hive?

Please send me an email at RNRQ@cncnet.com and I'll send you the pictures, or go to the link below...Thanks!

Pamela in California

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It's a normal process. The adult emerges, then must pump body fluids into the wings to expand them.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 10:57PM
onafixedincome(z8-9 CA)

Yes, but...from where did this one come? Do they normally do this on the ground? (I figured it would happen in the hive)...if it helps any, we've had some good breezes today?
PA

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 10:59PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Oops. Didn't notice at first. The 3rd picture shows what's likely a varroa mite on the bee's right eye.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 10:59PM
onafixedincome(z8-9 CA)

Um, no. That would be a droplet of the sweet solution I dropped into the bottle. :)

PA

It wound up a VERY dark blackish bodied bee with narrow yellow/gold stripes crosswise and two bronze patches under the wing base...not the usual honeybee here. And what about the tiny antennae?

I'm so confuzzed! :)

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 4:40AM
Merops_apiaster(Cadiz (Spain))

Obviously it is a fly.
A mite in the fly? Perhaps a louse, or perhaps a mite, but it is neither varroa destructor, nor varroa jacobsoni.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 4:08PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Oops. Big one. It's a fly. Can tell by the antennae. (Have to dust off my glasses.)

But the wing expansion bit is still normal.

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™