Satsuma plum, where to buy?

kathleen10(z9b AZ)August 7, 2005

Went up to Prescott for a day trip today. Awesome climate change :) even had a little rain squall on the way home... fun hiking and seeing all the roadside sunflowers. The desert on the way up was actually pretty green for this time of year so they must be getting plenty of rain up there too. Young's Farm in Dewey was wonderful as usual and the corn is in right now which in itself is a good reason to drive up there.

So... we met a man at his home who shared his Satsuma plums with us - OUTRAGEOUSLY delicious! And the trees are small and manageable, more like bushes.

So... where is best place to buy 2 of them (req'd for pollination)? When is the best month to put them in? October or November? What I've found so far says it will take 3 years from planting to fruit. Are these best planted bareroot or from a potted plant?

Anyone here have these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Sorry Kathleen, looks like you're going to have to find an on-line source for them.

Of course, as soon as I post this, a downpour of advice will probably ensue...

>grin

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 12:41PM
azbolt

Well I looked online and didn't find a whole lot. One place that sells them was sold out. Geez, now *I* want one!

Kevin

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 3:55PM
birdlady_in_mesa(z9 AZ)

Me too Greg! Lordy this is one enabling website. Absolutely don't have a place for another tree of any size, but a small plum..... maybe! :)

Susie

Bookmark   August 10, 2005 at 10:08AM
kathleen10(z9b AZ)

"Lordy this is one enabling website."

hee,hee LOL

Susie, it's true, this group is dangerous! This plum is just 6-8' tall and the one I saw was 12 years old. Perfect for a hedge or along a fenceline, could even be espaliered. Did I mention this is a SWEET plum? Juicy and more sweet than any I've ever tasted. I'm surprised no one here is growing this one. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I find them :)

Bookmark   August 10, 2005 at 11:39AM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Greg who? Susie, have you been taking your vitamins?

Bookmark   August 10, 2005 at 1:06PM
RODICA(Z9 PHX AZ)

I browsed the Internet and I found a site that sells bareroot trees including Satsuma trees. 2005 season is over but they will start again in January 2006.
The site is "midcitynursery.com" in California.
I already E-mailed them requesting additional information.
Good luck.

Regina

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 5:53PM
Easygoing(Sunset zone 13)

Kathleen,

One other thing you don't want to forget. This tree needs a cross pollinator, and I noted in my search that there are recommendations for cross pollinators, to ensure abundant fruit.

Easy

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 9:17AM
kathleen10(z9b AZ)

Thanks Regina. I am going to keep looking and hope I can find them before January but at least I have one good source now :)

Easy, I had also noted that 2 trees are required for pollination. Are you saying this plum needs a different variety/type of tree for the 2nd tree? Or will 2 satsuma trees be sufficient and allow proper/optimal pollination?

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 1:00PM

The sites I read said to cross pollinate with Shiro, Santa Rosa or Wickson for heavy crops. One site said there is an improved plum, even better than Satsuma:

MARIPOSA (Improved Satsuma)
Large, sweet, juicy red-fleshed plum with a small pit, nearly freestone. Skin mottled maroon over green. Good fresh or cooked. Low chill. Wickson or Santa Rosa are good for pollinizing.

easy

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 3:42PM

BTW, I found the following site selling this tree. It's the cheapest price I've seen so far:

easy

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit-Tree Nursery

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 3:44PM

Hi Kathleen, I just found another great link on the site above. It shows you which tree's it recommends for cross-pollinating. It looks like they are not recommending two Satsuma for cross pollination. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: What to cross pollinate with...

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 4:00PM

Oh heck, I was wrong. I'm sorry, was going cross-eyed with those lines. You can cross Satsuma with Satsuma. TGIF! ;)

easy

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 4:01PM
kathleen10(z9b AZ)

Easy,

Well, you are quite the detective :) And you were right the first time, 2 satsumas won't work. That chart is hard to follow though, hehe.

Thanks so much for the great research. I'm off to do more reading now.....

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 3:50AM

Oh! You are right. It's the green squares that you can't cross pollinate on. Geeze! Well glad I could be of totally confusing help anyways ;)

Easy

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 8:35AM
wannadanc(z8 WA)

So - what DID happen .... did you get the Satsumas and did you find an adequate cross pollinator? I have two wonderful 3 year old shiros and I am looking for a good boyfriend - just picked up a Satsuma - hope they like each other.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 3:46PM
magicgarden_az(Z9)

I wish I had seen this post when it first came out. I have a Satsuma plum and let me tell you that it stuggles with the heat. You must plant it facing east and have afternoon shade for it in the summer. It is prone to fungus too - and you better spare no expense on fungus medication or you will surely loose it. It needs amonium sulfate regularly. It will break your heart to see it suffer.

Also, you can not use another Satsuma plum to cross-pollinate. The best choice is a pluott - Mesquite valley growers crossed a plum and an apricot. It is far more resistant to the heat and fungus than any plum tree.

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Bursera microphylla ("elephant tree") experience?
Hi everyone, as usual, I looked before I lept at the...
grant_in_arizona
Water Softener
I'm going to install a new water softener to replace...
newtoucan
Mandevilla
Will mandevilla grow in Yuma? Part shade, sun
cruzer46
Sponsored Products
Westinghouse Lamp Shades 6 in. Vapor Proof Clear Glass Threaded Neck Shade with
$5.97 | Home Depot
Verve Violet Narrow Zig Zag Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Petmate Sky Kennel Multicolor - 00100
$45.99 | Hayneedle
Metal Chain Base Large Chandelier For Living Room
ParrotUncle
Juno 4" Low Voltage New Construction Recessed Light Housing
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Levolor PVC Verticals. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™