Frost damage!

illiahJuly 8, 2012

Hi all,

I have some hippeastrum bulbs that a friend gave me - no idea what type only that they're red.

I didn't realise they were frost tender and all the leaves got frost burnt and have fallen off. will the bulbs be dead now or will they grow again if I bring them inside into a warmer area?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

If the leaves got frost damage, there's a good chance that the bulb was damaged too.

You will know of the bulbs are damaged by whether or not they get mushy. How cold was it and for how long? Where do you live?

Since the leaves are gone and if you are apt to have another freeze, I'd be inclined to bring them into a place that's a little warmer but not necessarily I'm the house. If this is the bulb's natural winter it should be getting some rest anyway. Any chance that the leaves just turned yellow and fell off as the result of he change on seasons?

If there is bulb damage you'll need to start peeling layers until you get to one that is solid. It's a pretty big shock to the bulb and you'll need to keep an eye on them.

Good luck!
Kristi

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
I;m not Kahlua, who am I?
Title should be "I'm"...not "I;m"!...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Charisma x Tinkerbell
Hi Everyone, In 2012 I sent some pollen from my original...
dondeldux
Disgusting!
OMG! The stink and the shameful waste.
blancawing
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™