question about hippeastrum seedlings

hippifan(8)July 8, 2011

I have some questions about my hippeastrum seedlings (appleblossom � desire(?)). They are now 3,5 month old, and I have to repot them.

1. Do I have to pot them with the bulb half above the soil or just as they were now (with the bulb under the soil)?

2. Some of the ones wich I repotted already had very little red on the bulb. Is that red blotch or is it nothing.

3. Is a circumference of around 2 - 2,5 cm (I guess) allright for seedlings of 3,5 month old?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hippifan(8)

On the link you can see some pictures of my seedlings. Is it red blotch?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the seedlings

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 9:18AM
ajsblu_eyes(9)

Hippifan,

I would not call myself an expert but in my opinion your red does not look like red blotch. Bear in mind that if irritated or damaged a hippie will produce red marks this doesn't necessarily mean red blotch.

If these were my seedlings I would plant them with the bulb under or mostly under the soil. Many young hippies will pull themselves under the soil naturally.

For the size of your seedling's circumference I'll let others chime in but it sounds fine to me.

AJ

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 11:36AM
geoff9(6 and up)

I have grown a lot of seeds, but not from a broad range of species. The diameter sounds just fine. Raising or lowering bulbs is a funny thing. It is, of course, better to raise a bulb when you can. That way you get more root room per pot. Also, it is fun to watch a bulb go through its paces. I think you'll have to try to find out. Plant seedlings high in a pot where you can add soil. Beyond a certain age most amaryllised (I think) that are in the trade being complex hybrids will put up with whatever you hand them unless you expose actual roots. Well, that's my thought. Species, or course, have particular wants, and usually won't deviate. Unless they do. Is that clear?

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 3:36PM
hippifan(8)

Thank you for the information.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 6:58AM
More Discussions
Hippeastrum Apple Blossom problem
My Hippeastrum Apple Blossom showed a tip of a flowering...
jujujojo_gw
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
Any H. Piri-Piri blooms?
Mine is just opening. Solid dark red cybister. Photos...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Anyone order Sonatinis?
Did anyone order any Sonatini's?? I ordered 39 bulbs...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
# 0016 x Exotic Star
Hi, I was just checking some of my two + year old...
dondeldux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™