Do Bumble bees nap?

crabjoe(z7 MD)July 13, 2007

At 9am, bees are all over my cantaloupe vine going from flower to flower. 1pm... They're really at it. 7pm, most are gone but I now see 3 Bumble bees just sitting, as if they were sleeping. 2 were in cantaloupe flowers and 1 was in a cucumber plant flower. Is this normal? And if you, what are they doing, sleeping, resting of did they die from working to hard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueheron(z6 PA)

I've seen bumblebees like that, too. I always think they're dead, but they make some movement that shows they're alive.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 8:08PM
dragonplant(7a)

I'm no bee expert, but I've seen that enough times to think it must be normal. I used to have what I suspect was the same bumblebee that always took a nap on my hand railing by my door every afternoon. It would leave after a few minutes, but often napped in the same place (the only reason I have for thinking it was the same one). I've seen them nap in zucchini flowers too, then leave after awhile.

Last year I saw 20 or so bumblebees napping almost all at once on my dwarf orange tree...that I'm less inclined to believe is normal. A few were flying from flower to flower (it was in full bloom), but most were asleep in flowers...that and one other time I spilled orange icing and it put the ants to sleep makes me think orange flavored /scented stuff will make them nap unnaturally.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 3:26PM
lunelli

I've seen them all over my chive plants, maybe 20 or even 30 of them, holding on for dear life in cool breezy weather. I thought they were all dead but the next day they had gone, so I can only presume they were having a break and didn't fancy the trip home.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 2:58PM
oxmyx(6)

they get tired. give them a pet or 2, they dont mind. If it bothers them they just stick up there hind feet as if to say go away! Seriously!

I really like these, most friendly of bees that have replace the honey bee in my area.

Oh, did you notice they seem to prefer blue flowers?

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 1:48AM
More Discussions
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™