where to find pure, old or heirloom bees

stickyburrJuly 14, 2010

i was thinking of getting becoming a bee whisper :) but its rural and not seen any fly aways. i was thinking .. if the modern high out put bees have something to do with CDD or not .. either way where would i find older species of pure bees ie Apis mellifera mellifera maybe from a bee keeper like a heirloom not big breeder. in other words possibly care alot about the bees not just making as many baby bees as possible.

but i need a older bee that will over winter as they will never be on a truck or sprayed. high production is not critical and i will likely have a second hive located on a different spot by time they swarm hoping they will find the hive. i wouldnt want anything excessively aggressive

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beekeeper961(8)

Well it sounds like a good idea but it's not easy to find "old" bees because ccd is not a desiese it more affected by there surroundings because it affects charateristics and pesticides and depending on your location but there is a lot if factors that affect it.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 1:58AM
captstinky(9 WCentral)

do a search for "bee lining" it might fit the mold as bee whisperer...seems like fun if nothing else. Feral bees are supposed to be less of "puppy mill" category, if I read into what you are saying. Zone 5a you likely are not in an area for AHB. Go for it.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 7:59PM
ALPSin_NY

I've found a breeded who claims to have pure strains of A.m. mellifera -- in Sweden. You will likely not find pure strains of any honey bee in the US, exept maybe Russians from one of the few certified breeders.

Where do you live? You need to find someone in your area who raises bees. They will be more adapted to your local climate than those raised in the south.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Raising Bumble Bees for the Home Gardner
Hello Garden Web Friends, For the past few years, I...
Sunrise Vineyards
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™