Bee scaring off wasps

starla8(z5 MA)July 6, 2005

Hi,

About a month ago I was sitting on my deck. I noticed some wasps buzzing around the shutters of my house. A few seconds later I saw what appeared to be a HUGE bumble bee come over and scare the wasps away! The bee actually chased the wasps away from the shutters. A few minutes later, the wasps came back and so did the bee! It was kind of funny, actually. Does anyone have any idea what kind of bee it was or why it was chasing the wasps? It almost seemed to hover in one spot for a bit before chasing the wasps (like a hummingbird). I'd love to know!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treebeard(z5 MA)

Chances are that what you saw was a Carpenter Bee. A Carpenter Bee does look like a very large Bumble Bee, but if seen closely, one will notice that the Bumble Bee has a fuzzy appearance all over, whereas the rear quarters of the Carpenter Bee are smooth and shiney.

While it might be a good thing that the Carpenter chased off the Wasps, the Carpenter is only defending her turf...where she will bore a hole (or holes) into your house and lay her eggs.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 9:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nogsf_hfdsha_mchsi_com

I wanted to go out ladybug hunting, (Just finding them and watching them) but there's Caretnter Bees, Yellow Jackets, AND a wasp swarming around my bush. I was around them earlier and they paid no mind, but now im to scared to go outside! :( They chase me! Not long ago a bee tried to chase me into my house!

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™