When to transplant Yellow Grove?

theyardmanOctober 26, 2009

I have 2 bunches of Yellow Grove bamboo that were purchased 3 years ago, one in the sun and another under an Oak Tree that is heavily shaded. The bunch in the sun grows to about 20 feet in height, while the bunch under the Oak tree only grows to about 10 feet.

I am looking to move the bunch under the Oak Tree, when is the safetest time to move it, and what are some tips for moving it.

HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

In your climate I'd wait until next spring. Although the fall-winter period is good because the bamboo is relatively dormant, if you do it now, it will have little time to get established before cold weather strikes. Next April -- when the ground is unthawed and before any new shooting occurs -- would be good. Take as big a root ball as you can and plant it immediately. Stake it in place if there is any chance the wind could blow it over.

(P.S.: It's Yellow Groove, not Yellow Grove.)

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 6:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xcoyotex

Now would be a very good time.

One thing i learned is that when it comes to transplanting,.... it is best in the fall and spring when the plant is in the dormancy period and it is not so much of a shock to the plant when transplanting when it's dormant.

It's like sleeping through the pain and waking up feeling like a million bucks compare to being in pain, roots being ripped out, dehydrated, and limbs being broken.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™