New Banana tree owner

rtjohnsonOctober 28, 2007

I am from Indiana, and I brought my banana tree inside my house. It is about 5 feet tall, and there is a new plant that came up beside it that is about 3 feet tall. What can I do with them? I have a basement that never gets colder than 65, but it doesnt get any light. What can I do so they will winter. Can I cut them back, or make them go dormit some how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

Some varieties like orinoco overwinter well here in Indiana, but zebrinas, bordelons, dwarf cavendishes,and others don't do well overwintering dormant here. I think the winter must just be too long.
Best to grow them on semi-dormant in a cool bright room.

Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering as houseplants

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 11:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I have a similar situation. The basement is dark and not quite cool enough. If it were dark but cold I would try storing just the root of the banana like they recommend in a cold room or crawl space. So, I've opted to keep my banana upstairs as a houseplant right beside a window. It's a north window but it might get a bit of morning sun, say, in late winter. They warn to water sparingly and to be on the lookout for spider mites. I might spray as a precaution with neem oil.

I don't expect the plant might look too healthy come spring, but apparently as long as the root survives that's all that counts. When you accustomize the plant to outdoors again it will put on great growth and apparently it beats starting a new plant from seed once again.

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Looking for banana variety that can compete with apple bananas
I am looking for a couple of different cultivars to...
Axel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™