type & care

DenelloOctober 27, 2012

Hello, new to the forum, looking for a mentor of sorts to help me with my bamboo.. several weeks ago it flowered (?) I now have 16" to 18"+ wheat like growth on about half of the tall (above 10') plants and am confused by the research I have done... Will the plants die? Can I harvest seeds?

Also I would like to send someone a few photos and identify the type. Got the root sections off a job I was working on and planted them in March, seems like the growth & sprouts have slowed way down the past few months. Really love the plants and want to enlarge the area... don't know what to do??

Thanks, any input will be welcomed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

I think you have Arundo donax, which is not a bamboo at all.

Does it look like this?

Kt

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 6:25PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Without seeing a picture, I would also support kentuck's guess that it is likely arundo donax. This plant is sometimes mistaken for bamboo, but is unrelated.

Denello, bamboo have hard, woody, glossy culms (canes) that typically live for about seven years, and don't dieback unless they are in a really cold area. Bamboo also have branches that come off of the culms and the leaves sprout from these branches. If your plant has leaves that are directly joined to the stalk, that's another sign that you some other plant than bamboo.

Finally, if you do have Arundo donax, be aware that it is considered an invasive...more invasive than running bamboo and harder to remove once it's established.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 7:13PM
Denello

First, Thanks for the info kudzu9 & Kentuc8b, you are both right it is Arundo donax... second BUMMER! my wife and I were enjoying our little "bamboo" patch,, Our desire is to have something growing along the property line beside our neighbors drive so I guess all is not lost.. the Arundo may do the job, least now we know what we are dealing with.

Anyone know of a good source for real Bamboo in the Knoxville, TN area?

Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 8:25AM
kentuck_8b(__)

Some people plant Arundo donax here for visual barriers and it does quite well but it does have a slight odor to it so if it is close to a home or house it may be undsesireable. The county workers plant it along roadsides here for erosion control. It is what we used as kids for fishing poles.

Try one of these nurseries below that might be in your area.

Almaville Bamboo Company

Lone Oak Farm Nursery

Earth Advocates Research Farm

Kt

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™