Winter Flowers

chefschipullSeptember 17, 2006

Anyone know of some good flowers to plant in the fall that will bloom all throughout winter in AZ? I've never tried any winter gardening before so I would appriciate any input. Thanks!

ChefSchipull

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magicgarden_az(Z9)

Oh my goodness! Fall is the best time to plant! Much of the stuff you plant on the east coast in the spring - does really well in our winter. Pansies, violets, petunias, snapdraggons, garden mums, stock, carnations - to name a few. Just go to Lowes, Mesquite Valley Growers, Home Depot and you'll see massive bounties! Pansies and violets are a little shy, so they need a bit of shade. The snapdraggons really take off, so they need some support. Carnations, too, they will flop around. And, you will see interesting things that you never thought of at Mesquite Valley Growers which, if sensitive, you can put in pots. And sow wildflower seeds - and plant bulbs! Have fun - and good luck!

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 10:32AM
aztreelvr

You can access a planting schedule for annual flowers on the University of Arizona web site. It will show you when to plant from seeds or transplants as well as how long to expect blooming to last. This is a pdf document and may take a few minutes to load.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Planting Guide for the Low Desert

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 6:14PM
jimdaz(9)

I use the "Flower Planting Guide for the Low Desert" a lot, as it has great information. I use geraniums for their color, and if kept in shade will summer over. Another favorite is Cyclamen, they do great in winter but protect from a freeze. Quickly forgetting why they call it "Awful August" when we and our plants are so cranky!

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™