Red Yucca from seed?

clysta(8)September 10, 2006

I decided to repost this message under the proper heading to gain more attention?

I am trying to start red yuccas from seed. Of the original 4 seeds that I planted, only one has come up. I have put the pot in a place where the seedling gets more sunlight. Seems to be doing well. I have also planted 4 more seeds. Is one out of 4 an expected result for planting seeds? I did not score (scratch)or presoak the seeds, that will be my next attempt.

Transplanting is not recommended here until at least September.

Found on another web site=

Propagation Methods:

By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

From seed; direct sow outdoors in fall

From seed; sow indoors before last frost

Seed Collecting:

Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyhoe(z6 OH)

Growing Hesperaloe parviflora is pretty easy from seed. You probably will have better luck if you can plant more than four seeds at a time. Use a light, well draining propagation mix, sow the seeds about 1/4" deep. Germination takes about 2-4 weeks and is quicker if you keep the soil warm about 80F. Seedlings will take about 3 years to reach blooming size.

Hesperaloe form deeply rooted rhyzomes so asexuall reproduction can be a bit of a chore. Probably the easiest way is to by a large container grown plant, wash off the soil and cut the rhyzomes apart using a shharp knife. Let the new cuts suberize for a few days before planting in a well drained mix. Water sparingly.

Seed propagation is the way that most nurseries propagate hesperaloe. The exceptions are the yellow form of H. parviflora and the H. Parviflora x h. funifera hybrid which are micropropagated.

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 8:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clysta(8)

So far, out of a total of eleven seeds planted I have three plants coming up. One I just planted in the soil. The others I planted in potting soil. I have some seeds soaking in water now, but nothing is happening with them. Maybe they would do better than the others if I now put them in soil.
However, having read everything from comments here and websites that I found, it seems that the best way is to dig up a plant and divide the rhizomes. Especially since plants from seed won't bloom for 3 years. I was trying to start some plants for my new house which will be ready in December. I can landscape the back yard myself and I can add plants to the front yard after the builder landscapes it.

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™