Anyone need an apprentice? (NJ)

thebadseed(5B NJ)July 5, 2010

I'm interested in beekeeping. I live in a rather close suburb, but there are a ton of bees on my lavender, berry bushes and sage all year, they pollinate my vegetables, and I've never been stung by them here. I think they're great little buggers, and they do an awful lot of work for me as pollinators...I thought it would be slick if I could put some of them up and maybe get some honey out of the deal.

But, before I take it on, I'd like to apprentice and make sure I know what I'm getting into...does anyone in Essex County, NJ (close to Montclair/Bloomfield) want an apprentice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessejr

Would recommend you look at Better Bee for resources. It might be hard to find a mentor with a name like "Badseed" .. sort of frightening...LOL

Still, I wish you luck. It does sound as if you know how to attract the bees..we do not have them as much any more down here in South Texas. I will take your hint with the lavender, berry brushes and sage.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 11:42AM
thebadseed(5B NJ)

Thanks for the tip! (The name was a Nick Cave joke...)

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 5:40PM
morebees

I keep a few hives in Essex County. It's a great place to keep.

I'd recommend checking out the Essex County Beekeepers Society. You can find their website here: http://ecbs.njbeekeepers.org/
And their calendar of events here: http://njbeekeepers.org/Calendar.htm#EssexCountry
It is a great place to meet local beeks.

The short course they offer is great. You should try to catch it this winter if you have a chance.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Raising Bumble Bees for the Home Gardner
Hello Garden Web Friends, For the past few years, I...
Sunrise Vineyards
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™