Fargesia murielae privacy screen spacing question

ikea_gwOctober 6, 2008

I bought two Fargesia murielae so I can have a nice privacy screen to hide my neighbor's obnoxiously large (12 feet tall and 14 feet wide) shed right next to our property line. How far apart should I space them? Also, any other advice on growing murielae would be greatly appreciated as well. The site is under some tall oak trees and tulip trees that receives dappled shade from May to October and then full sun rest of the year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

For a screen, I'd plant them about 4' apart. But, unless they are really large now, it's going to take a number of years to hide that shed. You may want to consider planting more than two...

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 7:40PM
ikea_gw

In all the photos I have seen of this bamboo, it seems to grow as wide as it is tall. Are you sure 4 feet is not going to be too close? I am starting out with 5 gallon 5 feet tall plants so yeah it will be a while before it is huge. :)

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 8:59PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It all depends on how much screening you want and how soon. You can certainly plant them further apart, especially if you're going to use only two bamboo. I'd say you should simply set the pots out in different locations and try to visualize what it will look like in 5+ years if they expand in the shape you're familiar with. I guess if you plant them pretty far apart and aren't satisfied in a few years you can always put another one in the center.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Is this a type of bamboo?
I am trying to identify this plant and would appreciate...
jdeamer
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™