backyard hive down

vundril(8 a Dallas TX)July 27, 2009

I have had a hive of bee's living almost continuously in my backyard tree for five years.They immediately moved into a screech owl house years I put up and I have been a fan ever since.

Unfortunately, the rain today and the heavy population of bee's in and around the wooden box brought it down.It is busted open and laying, full of comb and bees, in my backyard.

I have no equipment and never attempted to harvest honey.

I need to remove them (of course would prefer to build new box and return them to tree.)

Any suggestions of who to call for live removal. Or how I might handle this myself?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cpp6318

Ideally you should get in touch with a local beekeeper but I know that may be hard to do and time is a factor.
What I have done in these situations is to gather all of the comb together in an empty hive body (the standard white box without the frames inside) and then place a hive body complete with frames over it. Make sure that you get all of the combs containing brood in the bottom box. Keep some honey for yourself... It makes it all worthwhile.
The bees won't leave their brood behind so they will stay in the bottom box until they build up into the top hive body at which point you would remove the bottom box and have yourself a new hive of bees.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™