Ground Bees near house foundation

makk2July 9, 2008

Hi-- this is my first time on the bee board. My husband and I have noticed a lot of bee activity near the ground next to our front porch. Today I was doing some gardening and lifted up a decorative brick, out 3 flew, I lifted up another brick and another 10 flew out from what appears to be a 3 by 3 inch hole in the ground. They were not aggressive and did not attack.

Here's my question. The entrance they are using is about 1 foot from our porch/house foundation. Since the bees aren't aggressive, I'm all for leaving them well enough alone, but will they begin burrowing into the foundation?

I'm in eastern Pennsylvania. I've never seen bees living in the ground before and it sure gave me pause.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tonybeeguy

can you get a close enough look to tell what they are? yellow jackets or bumble bees seem the most likely answers

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 11:13PM
makk2

Tonybeeguy, thanks for the response.

I don't think they're yellow jackets. They're fat, fuzzy and pretty friendly, not sleek and nasty like the yellow jackets I've encountered in my time. Even after I exposed their nest to the world (via moving the bricks) they came out to check me out, but didn't sting.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 12:27PM
tonybeeguy

It likely that they are bumblebees. I've seen them nest in holes in foundations. Nest size usually only gets to a few hundred bees at most

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 7:38PM
makk2

Thanks Tony, that info helped a lot.

A few hundred we can deal with, I don't think that's going to destroy the house or anything. I'll leave them alone and thank them for pollinating my bean plants.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 11:37AM
lpoulos

I've recently noticed a 3-inch whole in the ground going under my back wooden porch. Someone suggested they may be bees. But I haven't really seen many except the huge round ones that hover like helicopters around my 7 apple trees I have in my teeny backyard. Would they really make this big of a hole? Or is it more likely an animal...ick!

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 2:37PM
smiggles02_yahoo_com

I just discovered same situation. They are ground bees. They like dry dirt and I was told to water the h*** out of them :)

PS they are not bumble bees!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 9:00PM
maryjo7

We have the same bees along our foundation near the patio. Our house was built last fall so it's a new colony. With the world wide shortage of bees I hate to spray them, but we can't sit on our patio and really can't eat or drink anything. I filled the area with water a few times, but seem to have multiplied. Too bad they aren't honey bees.

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 1:10PM
maryjo7

We have the same bees along our foundation near the patio. Our house was built last fall so it's a new colony. With the world wide shortage of bees I hate to spray them, but we can't sit on our patio and really can't eat or drink anything. I filled the area with water a few times, but seem to have multiplied. Too bad they aren't honey bees.

Bookmark   September 14, 2014 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
Here's My First Mason Bee Hive
So other than needing more tubes to fill it is there...
minkies
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
Sponsored Products
Virtu USA PSK-901-BN Varuna Single Lever Handle Faucet - Brushed Nickel
$169.00 | Blue Bath
Standard Pieced Sham with Fringe - ORCHID/GOLD (STANDARD)
$310.00 | Horchow
CXL Antique White Ceiling Fan with 56-Inch Custom Scalloped Walnut Blades
$288.00 | Bellacor
Lithonia Lighting 3 in. Recessed GU10 Nickel Baffle Kit LK3BBN
$13.97 | Home Depot
Gold Medallion Outdoor Pillow
Grandin Road
Combi All In One Activity Walker - 5310032
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Linon Foundation Collection Red/ Ivory Quatrefoil Reversible Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Savoy House Willoughby Transitional Chandelier
1800Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™