'Amor'yllis

losmanJuly 23, 2013

When I rang her door bell on our first date, I had my amor-yllis in my arms and ready to greet her with its new buds! I had no idea this plant would live through 4 years of courting and blooming on nearly every anniversary. This year I proposed and she said yes! The Hipster reacted like the Spanish word 'Prometido' (Spanish for engaged). A new blossom soon flowered a few weeks later. Then again the week of our wedding we were surprised to see the second flowering 4 months after the engagement. This time new leaf shoots came out of its perimeter.
The question: should I break off these shoots and plant them? Should I leave it alone and re-pot entire plant with "babies" in a bigger container ( it is in a 8" pot now).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Repot the mother and offsets in a larger pot. Let the offsets grow until they have a well-established root system of their own. Doesn't hurt to keep them together.

What hybrid is this special bulb?
Nice story!
K

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 12:04PM
dondeldux

I agree with Kristi, keep the family together until the offset bulbs have some size to them (golf ball ) and by that size they should some established roots of their own.

This is a special bulb to you and your sweetheart indeed! With some TLC it will last as long as your marriage! Good Luck with both!!

Donna

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 12:17PM
losman

Thanks to Kristi and Donna for the quick replies!
The bulb is a Gilmar. I hope it lasts a good long time! I will repot the whole family until it is time to devide. Thank you both!

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:12AM
dondeldux

No wonder you love it!! Gilmar is a beauty, I've never been able to fine one for myself!

Royal Colors has a new variety called Barbatos which looks pretty close, I may have to try one...

Donna

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 10:01AM
mariava7

Awww...such a sweet Amor story.
I loved my Gilmar!!! It is robust, fertile and a performer.
Unfortunately I had to include it in my "amaryllis mass execution" a few years back. :-(

Gilmar I in 2008

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Help ID mislabeled hipies needed please
Hi everybody I bought 2 Giraffes and I was so happy...
tsucath
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
Any H. Piri-Piri blooms?
Mine is just opening. Solid dark red cybister. Photos...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Seeds from Argentina
Hi Donna, I bought some seeds in Argentina and one...
orchids_grower_1946
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™