Newbie: Should I Bother??

julia_123(zone5/Indiana)July 5, 2005

I have been curious about beekeeping for a long time. I am interested in having a few bees, just enough to provide honey for up to 4 people on a regular basis. I'm getting "Beekeeping for Dummies" from the library, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. :) Do some people just have "a few bees" or after the cost of equipment (whatever that is!) and care for bees, it is sort of ridiculous to "just have a few" because you've spent so much money? Or maybe it's not expensive? I had kind of envisioned a couple of beehives in my back yard and me pulling dripping honeycombs out every day, but keep in mind, I know NOTHING about beekeeping. :) Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tarheit(5b)

There are plenty of beekeepers who keep just a couple hives. I'd guess most of the beekeepers I know locally have less than 20 hives. Like many hobbies, the costs will be greater than what you produce (honey), at least at first. But it's not terribly expensive as a hobbies go. The starter kit (see the link) runs around $300, which includes just about everything you need to start, minus the bees. Add bees and a 2nd hive (I'd always recommend 2 hives minimum), and you could be talking $600.

But there are lots of ways to save money. A full suit isn't necessary (a veil, jeans and a white oversize long sleeve shirt will do.), assembling the hive parts yourself will save money and shipping costs (only a hammer and glue is really needed for this), etc. Finding a local distributor or beekeeper with new or used equipment could help even more.

Here is a link that might be useful: starter kit

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 12:55PM
julia_123(zone5/Indiana)

Oh, I'm really excited!!! Thanks for the information! Maybe I will try to find some central Indiana beekeepers to see if I can "observe" for a while. :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 2:19PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

Julia,

visit www.IndianaBeekeepingSchool.com

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

Bookmark   July 9, 2005 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™