Starting New Colony

genesis2_8_9July 9, 2010

I have one healthy (6 months old) colony. This was started by introducing three brood frames into a new, empty hive. Now that the colony is going strong, can I start a second colony directly adjacent (about 1 ft) to the first by once again taking three frames from the center of the brood chamber and inserting them trading them for three empty frames from the new hive? I've read that its beneficial to switch the two hives also as bees will return to the same location. This is a sunny, warm location with winter temperatures normally well above 50 F. Bees produced a new queen in the first hive with-in a short period. Thanks for the help - Al

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

Interesting question...and it may take someone from Hawaii to answer it. For most of the continental U.S., it's getting rather late in the year to be "starting" a new colony. Most likely it wouldn't have time to build up a sufficient population and gather enough food stores to survive the starvation of the winter months. But in paradise (errr....I mean Hawaii), maybe there is enough nectar and pollen available year round.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™