Help selecting new roses

mikerizzle9September 20, 2012

I have 4 roses along my home's front walkway I'd like to replace. I recently planted 4 of Belinda's Dream out back which simply outperformed my other dozen or so varieties which are supposed to do well in the heat. I'd like something that can compare in foilage quality, bloom type, scent, etc... But not pink. I really like the large HT type blooms on a shrubby bush, and they seem to not suffer in petal count and size in the 110+ days and 90+ night.

Here's what I have and would not fit the bill so should be excluded for suggestions: Gemini, Moonstone, Double Delight, Iceberg, Celia Bruner, Molineux, Veteran's Honor, St Patrick, Knockouts.

I'd prefer white or red.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sundrop07(9b)

You might want to check out the Mesa East Valley Rose Society, MEVRS for information. Also Mesa Community College has well over 9,000 roses they care for and are a great source for information, http://rosegarden.mesacc.edu/index.html I'm sorry I don't have personal experience with roses but I do volunteer pruning and deadheading in the MCC garden and enjoy it very much.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 12:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

I know that it isn't your color preference, but Grant always recommended the "Jacob's Coat" rose - I think they all might be climbers, not sure.

And the absolute best roses - not the cheapest, but the best - I have ever purchased (including Belinda's dream) were from The Antique Rose Emporium, in TX.

Here is a link that might be useful: J's C @ ARE

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
"Mouse ear" pipevine, Aristolochia watsonii
Hi everyone, I noticed one of my "mouse ear"...
grant_in_arizona
The Big Tease (white sapote flowers)
Hi everyone, long term members of this forum know I...
grant_in_arizona
drumstick tree
I was reading old posts and this tree sounds great. I...
calb_gardner
Bursera microphylla ("elephant tree") experience?
Hi everyone, as usual, I looked before I lept at the...
grant_in_arizona
Austin roses for the desert?
I am California but your climate is closer to your...
Pete
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™