Banana tree has fruit on it. Now What?

elbeardoNovember 9, 2009

Hey, when do I know it's time to cut the stalk of fruit off my banana tree? The fruit are small but they seem to have stopped growing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

Since you are new at this, I would wait until you see a slight color change. Once one starts turning yellow, go for it. They can take quite a while to start.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 6:11AM
elbeardo

Thanks for the reply. After I cut it, should I hang it up someplace, like in my cellar?

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 11:33AM

After you cut it (be careful- the sap that drips out will permanently stain everything!), we do hang ours, but I don't think it is 100% necessary.
We hand it upside down, so the hands face down (they fall off less easily).

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 2:12PM
sk290

Hello there! I'm new to growing bananas. Can I ask you why cut the fruit off the tree (unless it's for weather reasons?)? I would think that they would mature better in the tree. I have a small Vietnamese banana that someone gave me (he didn't know the name of it) and can't wait until I get fruit, maybe next year sometime. :) Thanks in advance for the information.

Sandra

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 12:51AM

Yes sk290, you are right, mostly you only cut the fruit off when they are ready (ripe or almost ripe). I think the OP just wasn't sure when they are ready to be cut.
Once you have been growing bananas a while, you will know when they are ready before they turn yellow. Once they are yellow and cut, they do ripen quickly (to fast to eat them all). If you can cut them just before they turn yellow, you can slow some of the ripening. It takes some experience to know when they are ready, but just not ripe. Then you can leave them on the stalk and just cut the top hands that are ready, that way you can take them as you can eat them.

But I guess people in colder zones do need to worry about frost in winter. Maybe someone with a closer zone may be able to help with the slow growth thing. I assume, as long as it doesn't freeze, they will grow, just very slowly in colder weather.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 5:33PM
sk290

I see. Thanks for the response! :)

Sandra

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 4:45PM
bradfl

rav~

OK.

This is my first try. And I am waiting, waitng.

Can you tell if they are getting ready?

Be well

(o_O)

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 3:29PM

What type of bananas are these? They sort of look like an Ice Cream (Blue Java) but they are not as tightly packed as mine.
But no, not yet. Keep waiting! I know it does seem like forever when you are waiting...

Experts here have 2 ways of "knowing"- the bananas become "fat" or the flower stops making flowers and dies. I just wait until I see a touch of yellow on the top ones. To me, yours still look uniformly green.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 5:56PM
newbie2gardens

I'm new to bananas as well and mine are green. The purple bulb (male flower) is still hanging, do I need to cut this off to make sure that the bananas are fully grown? I'm assuming this is the male flower or is it another bulb that will produce bananas?

Bookmark   October 5, 2014 at 12:37PM
mamaannd(7)

We have bananas this year, 2nd tree to have fruit in 3 years. This year the tree is starting to die, we know it will die eventually but it is really going fast. Should we go ahead and cut the fruit and the tree? Or leave until our first frost warning is issued....fruit has not turned as of yesterday. Still green and bulb is still hanging below.
We love our trees so beautiful during summer. Love sharing the pups with friends yearly. Amazing to watch them grown bananas.

Bookmark   October 23, 2014 at 8:14AM
milo299 name

In my opinion, you sould let ripe fruit on the tree, it the most delicious. But you have must preserve them.

Here is a link that might be useful: bananatree

This post was edited by milo299 on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 5:08

Bookmark   January 7, 2015 at 4:13AM
More Discussions
Some sort of fungal disease
I have several banana's around my yard but there is...
crazyman2099
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Anyone know if this banana will fruit in the Houston area?
Banana prata (silver banana) - Description: up to 10...
darkstar22
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
Sponsored Products
Vienna Lane Keepsake Box
$40.00 | Horchow
Porcelina Matte Black LED 14-Inch Round Bowl Pendant with Flat Bars and Finial
$600.00 | Bellacor
Cabana Banana Chair - 5401-50
$498.98 | Hayneedle
Banana Mover, Snack Box & Snack Tube Set
$9.99 | zulily
Banana Leaf Hurricane
$149.00 | FRONTGATE