What seeds to get started now?

greeneaterSeptember 11, 2012

New to the vegetable portion of this hobby, I would like to get a garden started and can anyone here help me with selections? I want to order some seeds and am a little lost. I like peppers and tomatoes the most. Garden area is in place and soil has been resting for 4 months with fish emulsion and worm castings and compost. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Let's start off with where you are: Phoenix metro? Other part of AZ? Makes a difference.

Not the time for peppers or tomatoes (although some of us are trying for a fall tomato from transplants). It is the time for cool weather crops, e.g., greens, lettuces, brassicas. This is one good planting calendar.

Here is a link that might be useful: planting calendar

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:53AM
greeneater

I am in central Phoenix. What is a brassicas?

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:59PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

It's a big list of veggies! Lots of my favorites, perhaps some of yours. They all do well in fall gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: brassicas

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:29PM
campv

I am a little north in camp verde so I can't plant as many things as you can. Lettus is a good start, maybe some garlic, carrots. I by my seeds every where even the dollar store but my favorit is "Seed savers exchange" www.seedsavers.org. They have a "free" cataloge with pictures of everything. Once you request a cat. they will send a free one fall and spring. Its like looking @ the sears xmas cat. when you were a kid. They also sell onion sets and potatoes starts. They must sell 35 diff. kind of bean seeds just for starters. As you can tell I like them. This year I planted heat resistant eggplant seeds. White eggplant w/purple stripes. Cool.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™