are you allergic to bee stings?

tonybeeguyAugust 23, 2007

Many people think they are allergic to bee stings because the area of the sting swells, sometimes quite a bit. Swelling from a sting is not an allergic reaction it's a normal reaction. You are being injected with venom and you will feel stinging, pain, and experience redness, swelling,warmness in the general area of the sting, and finally itchiness. The symptoms are confined to the general area of the sting or stings.

Allergic Reaction: This description is from "Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping" written by Dewey Caron, and published by WICWAS Press

.If you are allergic the reaction is widespread, typically "generalized itching and hives throughout the body, especially on parts of the body other than the sting site. Generalized swelling, especially swelling in the neck or face regions and difficulty breathing are also indications of an allergy. Individuals may have a wheezing sound, like they are gagging or show hoarseness in speech.Dizzyness or drop in blood pressure may also occur... The most allergic response,Systemic Reaction, occurs immediately and usually includes loss of conciousness. Such a reaction can be expected to occur in less than 1% of the population but this sting reaction may be fatal. The Large Local Reaction form of allergic reaction is less life threatening though complications like excessive swelling in the throat can cut off breathing." The treatment depends on the reaction. An oral antihistamine such as benadryl will usually help in the case of a large local reaction. For a systemic reaction adrenaline in the form of an Epipen is usually prescribed. Someone who is allergic should carry benadryl and an epipen at all times.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Thanks.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honeyman46408(z5IN)

THANKS TONY

I get this statement soooooo often!!! I am allergic!

When I ask where is your EPI pen 99% dont know what I am talking about,and another 50% tell me that it is in my truck, tackle box ect ect and some will pull it out of their pocket, they are the SMART ONES!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
Raising Bumble Bees for the Home Gardner
Hello Garden Web Friends, For the past few years, I...
Sunrise Vineyards
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
Sponsored Products
Illumine Lamps 31 in. Bronze Table Lamp with Tan Linen CLI-LS-22997
$71.00 | Home Depot
Crystorama 4439-CH-CL Maria Theresa Chandelier - 4439-CH-CL-MWP
Hayneedle
Advanced Ear Solution
$10.50 | FRONTGATE
L'Esprit Nouveau Sofa in White
$999.99 | Dot & Bo
Grey Bonded Leather Swivel Rocker Reclining Chair with Padded Head and Arm Rests
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Veranda Creme/Red 4 ft. x 5 ft.
$71.18 | Home Depot
White EZ-Glide Insulated Roman Shade
$44.99 | zulily
Robert Abbey Doughnut Antique Silver Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™