Motherwort honey

PaulNS(NS zone 6a)August 2, 2006

I'm pleased to find this forum - not sure this question belongs on it.

a) we want to get a few bee hives

b) we have a 5' motherwort bush growing in the garden and it is bee heaven

c) motherwort is said to be an excellent bee plant

But does the honey taste good? Has anyone tried it? Motherwort self-seeds prolifically - we thought of getting the hives and growing more of it, though there are plenty of other pollen sources in our garden - we grow a lot of small-flowered herbs.

Which leads to another question: is honey made from any large mixture of herbs and flowers bound to taste good?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisbud4u(San Diego)

Reading up on motherwort, I'm jealous that it only grows in more northerly climes. No clue what its honey would be like, if I were you I'd definitely give it a go. Plant tons of it!

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 8:55PM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

You know every year I'm gladder that we live in northern climes...except in about November-March. :)

Found this on a Richter's page about herbs and beekeeping. I'm not sure 'strong mint flavour' is a good thing...But then our bees would not be restricted to motherwort...

Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca)
Widely acclaimed beeplant, blooming most of the summer. Very easy to naturalize in waste areas. Honey is amber with a strong mint flavour. Remains liquid for months. Perennial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Richters

Bookmark   August 5, 2006 at 10:49AM
jane__ny(9-10)

I have it growing in a large flower bed. It spreads like weeds, but is such a bee magnet, you can't see the flowers for the bees. I have no idea where it came from, but I have left it because of the bees. It seems to thrive in almost total shade, full sun, dry as a bone soil. Out of hundreds of flowers and herbs I grow, I've never seen anything attract bees like this stuff. It'll take over your yard if you let it.

Jane

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 1:44AM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

Yes - every year it selfseeds like crazy. Luckily the seedlings are easy to rake or pull out. We have it at the edge of the vegetable garden.
Good to know it will also grow in shade.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™