Where to buy bamboo?

jersey325October 7, 2008

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you had suggestions on where to purchase bamboo. Does anyone have mail-order places that they recommend? I looked around a little bit online, but everywhere I found was in California, and I'm in New Jersey. I have 8 containers that I want to plant bamboo in, but I don't want to go broke in the process.. I think I'm going to need either yellow groove or golden bamboo, since I'm in zone 6. Any info is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Bamboo can be expensive. A standard 5 gallon pot will cost you anywhere from $40 on up depending on species; much smaller plants (say, 1 gallon) are likely to cost you at least $20. There are bamboo dealers in New Jersey (see link below), but it might be better if you knew where someone had a grove that needed taming and you could dig some for free (how to do it is a story for another post).
When you click on the link, scroll down to see the listings by state, then note the names and scroll back up to get more details.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS suppliers

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 1:25PM
timestocome(8b)

I've bought several plants from Florida Bamboo and just placed another order last week.

The prices and selection can't be beat and I've been pleased with every plant ( 5 so far ) I've received from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida bamboo

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 7:19PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Remember, however, that the bamboo sold by Florida Bamboo are great for a Southern climate but aren't cold hardy enough to survive a NJ winter...

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 8:53PM
ikea_gw

I have found black bamboo and golden bamboo at local nurseries or garden centers in Virginia. They seem to be reasonably priced especially considering the shipping charges for large sized pots. I have found 7 feet tall 5 gallon containers of black bamboo for 50 dollars. The selection is not as great as specialty nurseries but the varieties you are looking for are pretty commonly grown. You can always call around locally.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 1:49PM
mersiepoo(6)

After ordering some bamboo, I found a great place online, it's bambooplantation bamboo and they sell cold hardy bamboo for a great price! Best mail order prices I've seen, and they give you nice looking plants. They aren't too bad on shipping prices either. So far I've ordered 2 boos from them and they sent great looking plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo plantation website

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 6:16PM
bambu

www.lewisbamboo.com the nicest people Gayle and Roger and their son and their daughter in law. Have purchased from them for seven years. Honest, kind, friendly people and healthy plants too.

Good Luck.

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 12:13AM
tomwright

I am in NJ and bought bamboo from Little Acre farm in-state. Very nice folks. I drove down from Bergen County and picked a few that would fit under the cap on the pickup. Some Ph. Nigra and some Ph. Aureocaulis. Planted in front of my porch. They have some very nice, small, fields of various Bamboo species so you can get an idea of what it looks like once established.

I also ordered some from Bamboo Sourcery and received some very nice bamboo that so far has done very well in large wheeled pots on my back deck. Ph. Nigra Hale, Q. Tumidissinoda, B. Multiplex, B. Ventricosa, Ch. Marmorea, Ch. Quadrangularis.

All are doing well so far, all shooted at least one time, though the Multiplex I think does not like the climate here and may not make it over-winter.

I chose 3-day shipping and it worked out well.

I plan to over-winter them in the house, in two sunny windows. I will move my room humidifiers right next to them. if they do not make it, it will be my fault not Bamboo Sourcery's.

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 10:02AM
jeffreydv(z7 NJ)

I ordered my first Bamboo from Tradewinds Bamboo at www.bamboodirect.com. Gib Cooper is very knowledgeable and helpfull. Their prices are very reasonable.

tomwright, I am also in Bergen County and overwintered my B. Oldhammi in my garage last winter without any problems.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 8:41PM
stevelau1911

I've gotten a couple of dead or on the verge of death bamboos from bamboo plantation and they ignore calls after being aware of this.

Do not buy from bamboo plantation unless you want some dead plants.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 12:37PM
littlejo28602(nc)

why waste money ordering from these places? order from ebay! we do and its always been prefect and one seller on ebay that sells roots will replace them for growth failure. i havent found any other places that does that. we buy from bamboo from ebay and save money .

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 9:39AM
alan_l(6)

Unless you're purchasing from a reputable grower, there's no guarantee that the plant you get is what you want. If you just want "some bamboo" and don't care about the exact species or form, then eBay can be fine. If however you're looking for a certain species, I'd steer clear of eBay bamboo (unless from a reputable grower who happens to sell on eBay).

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 11:58AM
bobs_bamboo

Like to buy Moso, Vivax, black, and a few others in Arkansas or nearby, bigger field dug I can haul in truck. Just like to stay clear of big city's.
Traded for more land, can't sell it, so I'll plant bamboo on it. bobs_bamboo@yahoo.com

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 11:39PM
ghmerrill

I hear this place is good ;-)

www.boocrazy.com

$25 for 5 gallon size bamboos of many of the common species, and $15 to ship up to two plants anywhere in the lower 48 states is pretty much unheard of. good rating on daves garden too.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 2:45AM
euqruob(Phoenix, AZ)

Lucky to be in AZ, Home Depot and Lowes have each been carrying 5-6 varieties for last few months. Got some wonderful Giant Timber for 29 bucks, its growing like crazy. Bought most every type of clumping variety they had.

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 2:30AM
pummi_71_yahoo_com

Looking for Bamboo to plant in AZ. What is the best kind? Anyonw know the best place to get some?

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 6:54AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

You don't say where you live in Arizona and what your year around weather is like so it's hard to advise you. Arizona can be too brutal for many bamboo, so it would be best for you to get something you can see already growing there. Look locally at nurseries, or ask people growing large groves if you could dig up some.

P.S.: It's always best to start your own, specific thread rather than piggybacking on someone else's.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 1:27PM
SoTX(8b/9a)

If you do buy from local nurseries, be sure you know where the plants were grown. Since yours are going to be potted, you do have more control. Bamboo Garden has lots of information--shame on me for using it to buy on eBay to save $$.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Thick Canes, Small Clump
Two months ago I got an issue of Florida Gardening...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Screening bamboo?
Don't know much about bamboo (except not to use the...
florananny
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think
hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is...
steelfish
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Sponsored Products
Bamboo Bathroom Shelves Tower
Overstock.com
Hoppi Satin Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture with Marble Glass
$463.50 | Bellacor
Worlds Away - Emma White Dresser - EMMA WH
Great Furniture Deal
Bamboo Jewelry Box
| Dot & Bo
'Welcome to Grandma's' Sign
$9.99 | zulily