Need tips for green fruit to ripen inside

nychris(7b NC)November 8, 2005

OK...The weather has held up nice up to this point here in NC....80 degrees today and tomorrow,so this weekend i will be digging up all my plants..I have two nanas that fruited this summer..My Ice Cream and an Unkown nana...The fruit is still green..I think i read something one time about cutting the stalk and bringing inside and putting the cut end in a bucket of water? until they ripen?

Anyone have any ideas?

My icecream has 5 hands with about ten nanas on each. they are about 4 inches long

My unknown i'm not sure if it is a cooking nana or a fruit nana but the nanas are much bigger probably around 6 t0 7 inches and much fatter

Thanks for the help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

I called my friend Jack here in town, he just digs his plants up and leaves the bananas on them and stores them dormant.When he digs up the plants, he puts the roots in a plastic trash bag and then puts them in the dark garage. They go ahead and ripen up, but it takes them a while. It does pull a lot of the energy out of the plant. He said to cut off the bloom if it's still on there so it doesn't try to set more fruit. One of the rajas you sent me got huge this summer!

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 7:16PM
hydro_grower

i leave mine before first frost or until they're plumped up.
then cut down and hang in kitchen till they yellowish ..
on ice cream can't remember if they need black before done are not. try a yellowish soft one first, if done then that's it.. if not let them get some blackish to them. like store bought going bad..

i tryed the water gig and just wasn't worth the extra effort.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana pics

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 7:10AM
beachplant(9b)

Where are my bananas?? I sent you a box full of plumeria almost 2 months ago. AT YOUR REQUEST. You initiated the trade you should live up to your end.

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
First Year End Red Esente
This is the first year of growing Bananas (Red Esente)...
DueanGross
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™