How to distinguish Beecheyana from Oldhamii?

kiettran(Z10SanDiego)October 12, 2006

Hi,

I went to a local nursery in San Diego and noticed that it had Beesheyana in 15-gallon container but it looked strikingly the same to the oldhamii (which they also had in a 15 gallon-container). How do I tell the difference between these two varieties when they are both at small size?

Thanks,

Kiet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

I can't tell the difference between mine, and they are both mature clumps.

This is the reason that I believe that mine are one and the same plant. According to the ABS website, Oldhamii is more erect and has longer internodes, whereas the Beechyana has shorter internodes and the culms arch outward.

Mine are both tight clumpers with similar branches and leaf size, and have very erect growth habits.

When small, many bamboos resemble others very closely, so don't mix up the labels on the plants.

Kt

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveandlaura(8b-S. Louisiana)

Am getting some oldhamii next spring . . . at least that's what I hope it will be.

I have heard, though, that some bamboo at the New Orleans zoo (in the South America exhibit) is oldhamii. There, it is definitely not in tight clumps; there's enough room between culms to walk through and feel like it's a bamboo grove. The one unknown that I can't account for is how much this "grove" is groomed to maintain spacing between the culms.

That's my half-a-cent worth.

Dave

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Bamboo Resilience
Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Thick Canes, Small Clump
Two months ago I got an issue of Florida Gardening...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™