Where to buy trees?

mikerizzle9September 25, 2012

I live in East Mesa and am curious who you do/don't recommend for quality/price/selection... Also, feel free to give recommendations for species.

I'd like an evergreen tree for shading my west facing sliding patio door. Fast-growing since I don't plan on being in the house for much longer than 5-10 years. Not huge, because there is only about 30 feet between my orange and pecan tree, but the sun beats right through that slot from June-Sept.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toucan(9)

Chinese Evergreen Elm tree, but many do lose their leaves in the winter depending on how cold it gets.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 3:46PM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

If you can wait until October, I'd recommend shopping at the Desert Botanical Garden fall plant sale. It's held on the 19th-21st, with the 19th being members-only (another good reason to become a member!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Botanical Garden sale

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 9:29PM
mikerizzle9

Pagan, how are the prices for trees there!? I think I can wait, and I think I WILL get the Chinese Elm so thanks for the suggestions.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 12:57PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

If you don't find what you want at DBG, I recommend A&P Nursery. They have two locations in Mesa and one is pretty far east. Locally owned and very knowledgeable people on hand to answer questions. Where I will **never** shop again: Moon Valley Nursery. Bait and switch ads and used car salesmen tactics.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:14AM
mikerizzle9

The Lindsay/Baseline A&P is my primary nursery, it's so close and the young guys working there are very helpful and friendly though I haven't tested their knowledge very often

As far as Moon Valley, I've haven't gone there since I heard they were commission based. I stopped one time when they had a bunch of clearance plants by the road ($5 roses) and some lady came strolling out handing me all these garbage roses telling me they looked fine. See ya

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:14AM
Pagancat(Phoenix, AZ)

Many, many years ago, Moon Valley started having various workers plug the nursery here on AZ GW under assumed names. I haven't looked back once.

I also hate that they so heavily market (or did at one time) the Indian Laurel/ Ficus trees ... lovely as they are, they're water guzzlers and many people lost a huge investment in time and money when they got deformed in a cold snap.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 11:10PM
azbookworm

I really like TreeLand Nursery in Mesa. We have had great experience with their trees and plants over the years. I have 2 lovely Southern Oak trees in my front yard now.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 11:04AM
Pauly_in_AZ

Im currently looking for trees myself. I was duly impressed with Treeland. Every tree has a computer printed tag that lists the relevant info: price, growth rate and size, frost level, etc. Best of all stores when it comes to self-service, plus their folks seem knowledgeable. Next Id say its Whitfill nursery on Southern and 32st (this is their tree location). I looked at A&P but most of their trees were 15 gal or 24" box trees, i wanted bigger. After two tries at Moon Valley I can say without a doubt I will never buy from them again. As someone else posted, they might work on commission and that would explain a lot of the BS i dealt with there when I didnt know any better. I asked up front and at least at Treeland and Whitfill they do not work on commissions.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™