What is this mold?
I have previously posted about a mold that causes hippeastrums to rapidly collapse sometimes in my yard at the height of the summer rainy season (see link below).
The first indicator is seeing the stuff in these pictures around the neck of the bulb. Next the bulb leaves yellow at the base and easily pull off from the bulb. And if I dig up the bulb it generally has some whitish mold near it, and the bulb quickly rots into complete mush. If I catch it in time, dig the bulb and wash all the mold off and scoop off any mushy bits, the bulb can usually be saved.
But I still am not quite sure if this is all mold, or some sort of insect also. What do you think?
When I lifted up my watering can today, the area underneath it was filled with this stuff and I could get some good pictures. Typically, there is not very much in one place so hard to photograph.
With my fingers for size comparison:
The white webbing is certainly a mold. But it all those little round things I am suspicious of. Are they part of the mold? Or are they insect eggs? They are hard, like grains of sand.
I'd appreciate any info on what this is. Knowing what it is will make it much easier to control!
Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Post