H. hookerianus- new culms dying, HELP!!!!!!!!!!

berklady(z9 ca)November 8, 2006

I have a Teague blue bamboo planted on the north facing wall of my house and this summer it shot up over 10 new 3/4" culms that thrilled me. But when I went to check out their growth the other day, I noticed almost all of the culms (about 5 or 6 ft. tall) are rotting at the top and then dying! The top of the culm never branched out, still in it's sheath, and when I touch it, it's a soft mush of a culm that I could easily break off. Does anyone know whats going on here? The older growth doesn't seem affected at all. As ya'll know, the new big culms are what I've been waiting for, and now they're all dying. BOOOHOOOOO. I water it heavily about once every week or two, bc its in such a shady spot I didn't think it needed much more water- but now I'm at a loss. Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Too wet, too dry or too cold.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 3:13AM
roger_endangeredspecies_com

Where are you located? How is it doing now? I have had bad results with this plant - as I understand it is a mountain bamboo, which means it wants a cool humid climate. I am interested to know about the progress of your plant.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 1:20PM
watchnerd

Roger, you just necro'ed a 5 year old thread. ;)

Whatever state the culms were in 5 years ago, I'm sure they're either dead or recovered by now.

Although I would like to know what their fate was, as I'm about to get an h. hookeranus myself.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 9:43PM
suegibson

We also are having this problem with our Dulce Bamboo. I have read lots but nothing seems to apply to our situation. Good luck and if you find anything please post it. Our whole bamboo garden is looking really bad.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
argh neighbor
I live on six acres and we have a new neighbor. He...
seydoux
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™