bamboo and daffodils

silversword(9A)November 17, 2010

I want to plant my daffodils around my bamboo this year. Someone was telling me the root system of bamboo would be too intense for bulbs. Any ideas???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. I have all kinds of flowers and bulbs near my many bamboo and never noticed a problem. In fact, for aesthetic reasons I have had to weed out flowers when they were crowding around the bamboo clumps, so I think that tells you something.

Generally as rhizomes spread they are 4"-10" below the surface, so they simply go under the flower root system. I've never had a situation where a bamboo rhizome interferes in any way with flower growth. Unless you are planting flowers that need full sun and they are heavily shaded by masses of bamboo leaves you should be fine.

I do rhizome prune to control the spread of my bamboo and occasionally they grow through the root system of large grasses, so that makes removal of pruned rhizomes a little more work, but it doesn't hurt the growth of the other plant even when the roots are commingled. In short, the bamboo doesn't compete with the flowers or put out some mysterious deadly compound. Plant your daffodils and show your friend your lovely garden next year!

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 2:27PM
silversword(9A)

Thank you Kudzu!! I couldn't imagine the rhizomes being so obstructive as to strangle the little bulbs but, what do I know? I have about 100 bulbs I'd like to put in the planter around the base of the boo.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 3:15PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

If you have your bamboo in a small-ish planter, at some point it may start to get crowded in there with rhizomes, and this might make it hard to dig down deep enough to plant bulbs. If the planter is pretty big, I don't think it would be an issue for a long time.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 6:47PM
silversword(9A)

It's over five feet wide and about 20 feet long.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 11:26AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Then I think you're good for a long time...

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
bamboo books?
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books...
mersiepoo
More on Bamboo Flooring - Ouch!
Check out this link - it is rather scathing! http://www.finishing.com/260/96.shtml...
hoosier52
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
Moso is dying
I have a small Moso grove about 10 to 14yrs old . ...
gardensnail22
Sponsored Products
Natural Geometry Bud Vases
| Dot & Bo
Joy - Daffodil Wall Plaque - 1131
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Daffodil Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Tiffany Style Table Lamp with Hummingbird & Daffodil Patterns
ParrotUncle
Daffodil Bronze Sconce
$41.00 | Bellacor