Stinky six-pointed stapelias

grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)September 12, 2010

Hi everyone,

These are nothing too fancy, I know, but they're fun and blooming so I thought I'd share.

I grow a lot of stapelias in the ground (and lots of their stapeliad relatives in pots...Huernia...Orbea...Hoodia...etc) and these were blooming this week so I thought I'd post a few pics. They normally produce five pointed blooms but this week two different plants produced some six-pointed blooms (tennis ball to show relative size):

For folks who aren't familiar with stapelias, they evolved in locations without pollinating bees so they look and resemble rotting meat to attract flies to pollinate the blooms. I think they are otherworldly and fun, and the scent isn't bad unless you get your nose within a foot or two of the blooms. I'm glad I can grow them outside year round, especially during their bloom season (late spring and late summer).

They're easy from cuttings and from seed (I have a few pots full of seedlings from the dark flowered plant above that I'll be planting outside now that things are somewhat cooling off).

I hope you'll take a look and enjoy. If you're growing stinkers indoors or out, let us see/hear alllll about them.

Take care,

Grant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turtleman49(AZ)

Grant;
I've really enjoyed the ones you sent me a few years ago. I've propagated them several times and am ready to do it again if I can ever get the help, I think I'll have over 2000 of them by now...

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 5:15PM
lazy_gardens

I really like the burgundy one.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 9:22AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Thanks for looking/commenting! Turtle, I sure hope you post some pics of your babies, they sound impressive!

Lazy, if you want seeds or a cutting just send me a private email, I'm happy to share.

Take care and thanks again,
Grant

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 8:28PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

This is a stapeliad (in the stapelia family) rather than a stapelia. It's Huernia procumbens and it is blooming this week so I thought I'd toss in a pic. The flower is much smaller than the stapelias pictured above, probably the size of a US quarter or maybe a US fifty-cent piece.

I hope you enjoy.
Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Huernia procumbens bloom

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™