Mason bees and late-season plants

NYCveggieGirlSeptember 4, 2011

Hi everybody! This is my first season keeping a garden and I quickly learned that my urban neighborhood has almost no pollinators for my plants. I tried to attract bees and butterflies without much luck, so I ordered some mason bees and a bee house for next year. Here's what I'm wondering: if mason bees hatch in the spring and live 6-8 weeks, then can I not grow any vegetables that require pollinators later in the summer? Is it possible to extend the hibernation cycle of some of the bees by keeping the cocoons cold or something? (Sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm new at this:) Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

In my climate, the mason bees are completely done by the first days of June. In my vegetable garden, mason bees are useless. Anything that needs bees isn't blooming by the time the mason bees die. Squashes are all I can think of. Tomatoes and beans self-pollinate without any help. Even the Boysenberries' and Blackberries' blooming seaon barely overlaps with mason bee activity.
You can keep the hibernating bees in the fridge to delay hatching, but the longer you keep them in there, the more will die as their feul runs out. Although I have not experimented with this myself.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™