Can you tell a yellow jacket from a bee by sight?

rthummerSeptember 23, 2006

Please help. We had yellow jackets that were in the ground, swarm and sting my husband, as he was bushhogging the fields. Or was it yellowjackets? Now I am beginning to wonder. How can you tell the difference by sight? I don't want to kill bees, but I have been stung several times this summer, from what I believe to be yellowjackets. The sting from a bee is not bad, but a sting from a yellowjacket goes on and on and on. It really hurts, right? Is a yellowjacket larger than a bee? Is there any sure fire way to tell what you are looking at? Do yellowjackets have any purpose except eat rotted fruit and small insects? If not, I plan to kill them all!!! Will someone please help me out here, so I will know what is around my deck and gazeebo? Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccrb1(z5 IND)

yellow jackets are bald, and have a pinched waist

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 5:18PM
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

If they're in the ground, they're not likely to be honeybees (especially in your part of the country).
I'd say, get rid of 'em!

For photos, go to Google (I'm sure the same would work for Yahoo and other search engines), click on the "Images" selection above the search box, type in 'yellowjacket' and search; then do the same for the word 'honeybee' (make sure you're still in the "Images" selection). As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 6:04PM
rthummer

Thanks to you both. Well, I have yellow jackets. My husband has found another hole in the field where they are comming out. We know how to get rid of them. I just wanted to make sure that why I ask. Thanks a bunch for the help.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 8:37PM
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

And curiosity has got the best of me.
What technique will you use to get rid of them?
--
My technique would be to simply dump some Sevin Dust in the hole just at dark (assumming you're not adverse to the use of chemicals).

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 4:26PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Or, if you can avoid the area for a while, simply wait until winter when the colony will die.

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Raising Bumble Bees for the Home Gardner
Hello Garden Web Friends, For the past few years, I...
Sunrise Vineyards
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
Bugs, Birds and Beyond
FREE Festival for Children, Sat, 8/23 12 �...
blrhudugi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™