Help! Killing my banana

GardenHelpDecember 3, 2012

Anyone have ideas as to what is wrong with my banana? It is around two years old. It occassionally drops leaves like a normal plant but this week all its leaves have started to turn yellow. I am afraid I am definitely killing it. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HiddenWalrus

Looks like the classic symptoms of underwatering to me. During this last summer, I was so busy my potted dwarf cavendish banana went a week without water in 90 degree heat.
It never wilted, but the leaves yellowed and crisped from the edges just like in your plant. I just cut them off and new green ones came in again once I started regular watering again.

If you have been watering it enough, I do not know what the pronblem could be. Too dry air, maybe?

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:23PM
GardenHelp

Hidden Walrus: That could be it. I tried to cut back its water over winter but it may have been too severe. I will up the amount. Thanks.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:03PM
johnmcafee_99(z6 MO)

Check your ph. I water using my sulfer well water and had some lemon trees turning yellow because the ph was off the charts. Had to spread lime to blance things.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 2:50PM
HiddenWalrus

Only cut back on water if temperatures are below 60 degrees and you are trying to send the plant into dormancy. In that case the plant stops growing, enters hibernation mode and is fine with almost no water for up to 7 months. If you cut back on water but keep it warm and well-lit however, the plant doesn't get the signal to go to sleep and still struggles to grow but without enough water cannot maintain its older leaves anymore. This is because what water it does have is sent to the more important new growth and there isn't enough to go around.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Banana variety
Plan on planting a couple bananas of different maturity...
bjakeky
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
Sponsored Products
Destiny Oushak Rug 8' x 10' - LIGHT SILVER
$4,199.00 | Horchow
Orange Quatrefoil Frame
$21.99 | zulily
Whitmor Satin Padded Blouse Hangers (Set of 20)
Overstock.com
Nova Lighting 4361CX Contour Arc Pole Single Floor Lamp - 4361CX
$862.50 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Accent Rug: Ultimate Shag Banana Cream 2' x 5'
$89.00 | Home Depot
Gates Leatherette Adjustable Height Swivel Office Chair
Overstock.com
Roddy Loveseat - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Lithonia Lighting 1 ft. x 4 ft. Wraparound Replacement Lens for the LB Series Fi
$24.47 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™