Mystery Bamboo transplants
Thanks to Kudzu, I decided that waiting for my Moso seedlings to grow to maturity may not be the best way to landscape my property in the short-term.
I found a location very near my home with bamboo that has fairly large (2-3 inch diameter culms, 30-40ft in height). The lot is a commercial lot that will soon be graded, and the developer didn't mind me taking a few of the plants. I now have 7 culms in the 2.5 inch diamter, 35 ft range planted in front of my property along with a few in the 1/4", 5 ft range for some variety. The funny thing is that the 5 ft plants look worse than the 35ft plants following transplanting. The leaves are curled despite my best efforts to keep them watered. I felt that the rootball was sizeable enough, but I guess you can never tell.
Question 1 - if the culms die on the transplants, will new shoots come up next spring anyway from the rhizomes?
Question 2 - I dug up about a 2.5 ft section of rhizome with no culm attached. I decided not to waste it and I planted it anyway. Any chance that a shoot will emerge from this or am I wasting my time?
Question 3 - Any suggestions for keeping the culms alive other than water, water, and more water (which I'm already doing)?
Thanks in advance guys. I love the bamboo forum and all the expert opinions. I'm going to try to take some photos to see if anyone can identify the species if I can manage to get home before it's pitch black (darn time change).