Dwarf Brazilian Banana - Can It Fruit in a Large Container?

john90808(z10 So Cal)December 16, 2005

A co-worker of mine has offered me a pup from his dwarf Brazilian Banana tree. He grows his in the ground and says it is about 12 feet high. I have been able to taste a banana from his tree and found it quite good. My question is, can I successfully grow this variety in a large container to produce fruit? If so, what would be the minimum size container? Any other advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated since I have never grown bananas before.

Thanks in advance for all of your inputs!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

My Dwf Braz has about 5-6' of trunk. I would think a 24" box would be a minimum size to have some prospects of being large enough. They have been grown in 5 gallon buckets, hydroponically, but it is a delicate balancing act. The smaller the container, the more carefully you have to balance water, fertilizer, etc.

Bookmark   December 16, 2005 at 10:33PM
jetstream(Z9b)

Just to see if it can be done, I tried this as an experiment. This is supposed to be a Double Mahoi...it didn't double, so I really can't be sure. It's growing and fruiting in an 18" diameter and 18" deep pot. The main trunk is 4 foot tall.

It was planted as a one foot pup this past April and it's fruiting so I now know it can be done. So give it a shot.

The only problem that I can see with the 12 foot tall variety is that it's going to be top heavy and might have a tendency to fall over. You'll definately need a bigger pot for that size and might want to try and stabilize the container somehow...

...here are a few pics...

...it has 3 pups left on it now and I've already removed a few and planted them in the ground...

...and the fruit

...good luck...Z

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 9:14AM
john90808(z10 So Cal)

Thanks for the information and pics! I think I have found a spot in my yard that I can plant the tree in the ground. It is south facing with ample sun and good drainage.

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 10:41AM
Bobaknauss_yahoo_com

I live in Newbury Park north of LA and I am looking to buy several Dwarf Brazilian banana trees. Anyone out there have them for sale. Also looking for Misi Luki Bananas and Papaya plants (Red Lady) variety. Also pineapple. Can anyone help me. Thanks

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
First banana plant
Heh, okay so i was watching my friend remove unwanted...
YouthGarden
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Prepping the soil for banana plants
Hello, I have a nice space for about 2-3 dwarf Apple...
figsinhawaii
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™