How to Grow from Seed

blue265(z6 Toronto)December 29, 2005

Hello all,

A friend bought me a small gift box for Christmas that's called Purple Banana Tree. It says that this particlar kind of plant is the most possible type to grow fruit indoors. I have no idea what kind it is but assume it's probably a SDC? In any case, it came with three banana seeds and some soil and says to soak overnight, then plant seed in the soil and can take 30-90 days to germinate. I was just wondering if there are any other ways to germinate. I usually like to germinate other plant seeds in a glass with a wet paper towel. I add water every few days and have had much luck in germinating this way but have never had banana plant seeds before. Any ideas on the best ways of germinating? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laterita(7b Holland (dr))

I think you have Musa velutina seeds.
I water them 48 hrs in 30C water, after that I put them in soil, not too deep and moist.
If you keep it warm and light, they will germinate, but this may take a while. Fresh seeds in about 2 weeks, older seeds may take a year...
I've never used a paper towel for this.
Simon

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 5:16PM
blue265(z6 Toronto)

Thanks for your help Simon. Thanks also for your input on what plant the seeds are. I did some searching beforehand, and thought that they might be Musa Velutina since the fruit are described to be velvet purple on the package. Hopefully thats what they are, since I already have enough SDCs! I am going to try soaking them for 48 hours before planting as you have done. And maybe one I will use the wet paper towel trick to see how it does.

Bookmark   January 6, 2006 at 9:22AM
gaynor4gardens_2007

Hi,
I bought some banana, palm and bamboo seeds can you help with the best way to germinate these seeds.
Many thanks,
Gaynor.

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
Banana variety
Plan on planting a couple bananas of different maturity...
bjakeky
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™