Best Clumping Bamboo

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)November 19, 2013

My daughter is buying a house with views on two sides that she'd like to block. Her friend suggested planting clumping bamboo. What is the best type for privacy? We're in southeast Mississippi.

Thanks!

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

How tall can the bamboo grow and how much room does it have to grow in?

Kt

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 8:55PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

It can grow to an unlimited height, but I don't know how much linear length it'll have to cover yet.

I've been looking it up on the internet, and I think Bambusa multiplex 'Sliver Stripe' would be about the best one for our area. The information I have says that the diameter of the clumps are about 1.5' with the height being about 30' tall. If anybody in the Gulf Coastal Deep South has experiences that differ from that, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sherry

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 1:37PM
kentuck_8b(__)

I grow Bambusa multiplex 'Sliver Stripe' and it leans outward a lot. The outer culms grow at almost 45 degrees from upright so it will rake a lot of room. Mine only grows to about 14 feet in height. There are several other B. multiplexes that grow more upright and taller.

One of the bambusa textilis varieties might be better. They are larger but equally as cold hardy as Bambusa multiplex 'Sliver Stripe'. Bambusa oldhamii is very erect, so it will need less room to grow but it gets very tall, over 40 feet here.

Kt

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 8:24PM
KeithInKeyLargo

I just planted some b. textilis gracilis - Graceful Bamboo - the specimens I've seen are beautiful. It grows with upright culms, with leaves that "flow" downward - very pretty. And it is often used for screening out your neighbors (my use). It should do well in your zone.

Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 10:09PM
kentuck_8b(__)

Keith, how tall does the gracilis get in your area? Mine grew to over 40 feet here.

Yes, it is a very pretty bamboo, not as upright as Oldhamii, but much more cold tolerant.

Kt

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™